One Of The Most Popular Careers In The Beauty Industry Outside Of The Salon Is Being
A Platform Artist
This rockstar of a job requires dedication, perseverance, and experience in educating, communicating, selling, and entertaining. Here are some tips to help you have the best career as a platform artist.
Education Is Essential
As a platform artist, you are responsible for teaching others your craft. It is important to always be up to date with new trends, techniques, and products. Educating yourself as much as possible is not only beneficial for you, but also those you may be teaching.
- Attend educational classes, seminars, and beauty events. This is helpful in expanding your skills for your career and a great networking opportunity to meet others in the industry.
- If you can’t regularly attend classes on-location, try online. The internet has great webinars and classes that you can attend on your time. Social media outlets such as YouTube can be a great source of information from licensed professionals.
- Get certified. Certification classes are great for gaining experience and learning new techniques. You also are adding more to your repertoire of skills and can expand your services you offer.
Networking Is Necessary
Networking is the perfect opportunity to connect with other professionals in the industry. It gives you the chance to build relationships with others, and learn new tips and tricks along the way. When networking, always be sure to have your contact information on hand, ready to give if asked.
- Trade shows or events are great places to meet and network with others in the industry. You may connect with companies or other stylists that you can learn from or even partner with.
- Social media is one of the best tools you can utilize when it comes to networking. You can meet and learn from so many different beauty professionals online. Try joining a Facebook beauty group for professionals or add other hairstylists to follow on Instagram.
Perfecting Your Portfolio Is Key
Portfolios show your talent, experience, and your personality. Keeping them up-to-date with your most recent photos are important. This doesn’t just get the attention of fellow stylists and future clients, but it gets the attention of potential employers needing talented, entertaining platform artists.
Check out these three tips for a portfolio that stands out among the rest.
- Start with a traditional, printed portfolio of your work to show what you have done. Try organizing your best photos in specific categories, such as colors, cuts, and styles.
- With the height of social media, a digital portfolio is crucial to your success. Instagram is the perfect channel to showcase your work with its imagery-focused platform.
- Create a website for your portfolio. A website is a great, professional place to showcase your work. It allows for more space to better introduce yourself, letting your audience get to know you more. Plus, you can have a contact page for clients or potential employers to reach you.
Salesmanship Skills Are Required
One of the biggest challenges of this job is public speaking. You need to be able to sell what you are showcasing.
While working as a brand ambassador, you will need to show the audience why they should use or purchase what you are selling. Below are a few pointers to make sure your communication skills are up to par.
- Learn as much as you can about speaking in public. Watch videos or read articles—you can learn tips and tricks that can only help you improve.
- Practice in front of others who can give you constructive feedback. This can help you start to get comfortable speaking in front of a crowd.
- Educate yourself on the product you are selling and educating others about. You want to make sure you know every detail about the product or technique to be able to answer any questions the audience might have.