How to Leverage TikTok in Your Cosmetology Career
We know, we know—another blog on the internet about TikTok.
Maybe you’re one of those cosmetologists who gets truly hyped about integrating a new social media platform into your career path.
If you’re not, then you’re probably wondering why another social media platform has chosen to weave its way into our lives—and therefore our digital marketing strategies—when we’ve all just mastered the other latest and greatest social media platform fad.
No matter where you stand on the great social media as a digital marketing strategy debate, the fact of the matter is that social media platforms do make a difference in marketing.
And that means TikTok is gonna be the new social media contender in your life—whether you love it or not.
But honestly, what the heck is TikTok, anyway, and further, how do you go about creating TikToks that can actually work in your favor?
We’re here to help.
Keep reading to learn a little more about this not-so-new but ever-so-popular social media platform that—when used correctly—can work some serious magic for your cosmetology career.
What the Heck is TikTok, Anyway?
OK, odds are that even if you’re intentionally unplugged from the social media world and all things pop culture, you still have a pretty vague idea of what TikTok is. But just in case, we’re going to quickly introduce this platform to you as if this is the first time you’ve ever heard of it.
TikTok is a short-form video-sharing app that absolutely skyrocketed to the top of the social media platform game a few years ago. This app works very similarly to Instagram’s Reels feature (but, TBH, TikTok came first, so Reels is sort of the copycat, right), so if you’re familiar with that platform, you’ll fit right in on TikTok.
Need-to-Know TikTok Deets to Get You Started
- TikTok is short-form, AKA, you’ll be dealing with 15-60 second videos
- More than likely, videos will be set to popular music—that’s kind of the TikTok signature
- About 800 million active users are on TikTok worldwide—and 30 million active users in the U.S.
- TikTok was initially a big hit for Gen Z, but it’s def not just for kids—almost 70 percent of TikTok users are between 16-24, and 30 percent are 25+
- It’s easy AF to make content and create videos directly on the app
- TikTok is fast-paced but fun when done correctly
- TikTok videos are wonderful for cross-platform promotion—making a TikTok and using it as an Instagram Reel is a highly relied-upon strategy for content creators
Here’s the bottom line—TikTok is a big deal and likely will be for the foreseeable future.
And we think that means you should start taking notice and flexing those creative cosmetology muscles.
Upgrading Your Cosmetology Career Opportunities with TikTok
Believe it or not, TikTok can actually help get your career where you want it, grow your audience, and increase your customer base.
How? By connecting you with the right people. TikTok is all about reach, branding, and what’s trending.
The good news? Cosmetology-related stuff is huge on TikTok—from how-to hair videos to MUA makeup trends to skincare hacks, there’s literally an enormous market out there for health, wellness, and beauty.
Going “viral” on TikTok or building up a crazy-large and engaged audience can do more for you than just stroke your ego, these types of connections also create opportunities like:
- Open you up to brand and influencer partnerships
- Supplemental, passive income
- Gain more clients
- Find your niche audience
- Open the door for education opportunities
- Connect you with new jobs, clients, and colleagues
And TBH, that’s really just the start—the tip of the TikTok iceberg, if you will.
Start making TikToks as soon as you can. You’d be surprised what people find downright fascinating on this app.
How to Make a Compelling Cosmetology TikTok
We’re not going to get too technical with you here—instead, we’re going to talk about creativity and how you can craft compelling cosmetology TikTok content that’s sure to bring in the viewers (and more importantly, the customers).
- Share tips, advice, and industry secrets—people eat that up!
- How-to videos and hack-style content are so popular.
- BTS videos rule—viewers love to see a “day in the life” style stuff.
- Tutorials for hairstyles, skincare, makeup looks, and more perform really well—and content like this gives you a chance to show off your skills.
- Capitalize on trends for a better chance to go viral. There are plenty of unique opportunities out there that you can twist to make relevant for your purposes.
- Don’t forget to include subtle CTAs. Yes, your content should be fun and educational, but you also need to direct people to where they should go for more content, getting in touch with you, or booking with you.
Ultimately, TikTok can be a fun, compelling way to engage with your social media followers, but it can present so many other opportunities, too.
Our advice? Give TikTok a try.
No, we don’t think not diving into TikTok will totally destroy your career or your chances for success, but where’s the harm in giving this form of social media trendiness a go?
Who knows—maybe you’ll be the next viral cosmetologist on TikTok.
Looking for helpful social media marketing advice?
We’re here for you, friend. Check out our eBook right here for a ton of 101-guidance guaranteed to turn you into a cosmetology social media pro in no time.
For more helpful information like this and for career-boosting tips, tricks, and advice, make sure you subscribe to Elite Beauty Society right here, right now—never miss another must-know career-making strategy again.